Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Review "From Blood and Ash by Jennifer L. Armentrout"

A Maiden

Chosen from birth to usher in a new era, Poppy's life has never been her own. The life of the Maiden is solitary. Never to be touched. Never to be looked upon. Never to be spoken to. Never to experience pleasure. Waiting for the day of her Ascension, she would rather be with the guards, fighting back the evil that took her family, than preparing to be found worthy by the gods. But the choice has never been hers.

A duty

The entire kingdom's future rest on Poppy's shoulders, something she's not even quite sure she wants for herself. Because a Maiden has a heart. And a soul. And a longing. And when Hawke, a golden-eyed guard honor bound to ensure her Ascension, enters her life, destiny and duty become tangled with desire and need. He incites her anger, makes her question everything she believes in, and tempts her with the forbidden

A Kingdom

Forsaken by the gods and feared by mortals, a fallen kingdom is rising once more, determined to take back what they believe is theirs through violence and vengeance. And as the shadow of those cursed draws closer, the line between what is forbidden and what is right becomes blurred. Poppy is not only on the verge of losing her heart and being found unworthy by the gods, but also her lofe when every blood-soaked threat that holds her together begins to unravel. 


Advanced Readers Copy 

Title: From Blood and Ash 
Series: 
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Blue Box Press
Edition: Kindle
Amount of Pages: 
Genre: New Adult, Fantasy, Romance

Cliffhanger: Yes
HEA/HFN:  Hard to say
Cheating:  No
Triggerwarnings: No
Insta love/Insta hate: No   
Single Parent/Kids/Pregnancy: No 

Date Read: 08-03-2020 - 09-03-2020

Favorite Quote: "Both halves are as beautiful as the whole"

"With my sword and with my life, I vow to keep you safe Penellaphe. From this moment until the last moment, I am yours"

 "You're an absolutely stunning, murderous little creature"

"I came back for you that night. Just like I told you I would. I came back for you, and you weren't there. You promised me, princess."

"I have a feeling that if you don't leave, he's just going to stand there and drain precious air from my room." "While looking exceptionally handsome. You forgot tot add that."

"The next time you go out, wear better shoes and thicker clothing. Those slippers are likely to be the death of you, and that dress... the death of me"

"I'll say it again. I don't care what you are. I care about who you are"  

"What you want is me" My breath caught."That doesn't matter""What you want should always matter"

"His words had touched the deepest part of me, and it was thrilling. I felt alive, like i was finally waking up"

"I am a bad maiden." "No" He kissed my other temple. "You're a perfectly normal girl. What is expected of you is what's bad" He paused. "And yes, you're also a very bad Maiden"/ 

"Promise me you won't forget this, Poppy. That no matter what happens tomorrow, the next day, next week, you won't forget this, forget that this was real"












Review:
I want to start my review by saying that not being able to talk about this release was so hard. It was killing me not to be able to gush about it to anyone that would listen. 
This is the first high fantasy book by Jennifer, and I really hope that it isn't the last. Just like with her other works, her ability to create worlds, create hot swoony men and strong feisty female characters is simply amazing. This book has everything we could ever want and more, mystery, humor, steamy scenes, betrayal, mystery and suspense. 
This book pulls you in right from the starts and doesn't let you go, not at all.
Hawke could potentially kick all of Jennifers other book boyfriends right from the top and run away with the nr 1 medal. 

What is this book about: 
Poppy is the Maiden, meaning she has to remain "pure" until the gods find her worthy of Ascending into immortality. It's suppose to be a honor, and it means that when Poppy ascends, so do all the other Lords and Lady's in waiting. It's suppose to be the biggest ascension since the gods blessed them with it. However it's not something Poppy want's. And she's not sure when this life is suppose to become a honor. Since arriving in the city a long time ago, she has been, uhm lenient when it comes to following the rules that constrict her live every day. She didn't expect to want to break so many more rules the second she meets Hawke. 
Things aren't always what they seem. The truth can either set you free or destroy every thing you know. The Dark One is done waiting and he is coming to get what he wants. And what he want's is Poppy... 

What did I like/love about this book:
Why ofcourse I loved it! It's a Jennifer L. Armentrout book after all! I didn't expect to love it this much though. I should have known that when I started this book at 8pm that I wouldn't stop when I was done. Silly me. 
I loved the interactions between Poppy and Hawke. It's was hilarious and just the best. I loved that Poppy was a take charge kind of girl. The hand she has been dealt isn't a fair one. The rules that where imposed on her would drive anyone insane but she managed to get through it with strength and dignity. 
And Hawke, he was funny, charming, protective and just fun. I just love him so much! But at the same time he broke my damn heart and pissed me off. I honestly need the next book now! Like right now!

What did I dislike/hate about this book:
Nothing, absolutely nothing. 

Rating: 
5 mindblowing, amazing stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment