Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Review "Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas"

Meet Celaena Sardothien.
Beautiful. Deadly.
Destined for greatness.


In the dark, filthy salt mines of Endovier, an eighteen-year-old girl is serving a life sentence. She is a trained assassin, the best of her kind, but she made a fatal mistake. She got caught.

Young Captain Westfall offers her a deal: her freedom in return for one huge sacrifice. Celaena must represent the prince in a to-the-death tournament—fighting the most gifted thieves and assassins in the land. Live or die, Celaena will be free. Win or lose, she is about to discover her true destiny. But will her assassin’s heart be melted?







Review
I have met this author before. She was at Apollycon2016. Back then I wasn't sure If I'd like her books and I end up not reading them.  Sarah is coming to Apollycon2017, and again I found myself doubting if this book would be a book for me, or any other book by her for that matter. The reason I didn't really want to read it in the first place was because it's fantasy and young adult, both genre's I don't read much anymore, fantasy especially. Also I got a hint of there being a love triangle and I really dislike those. Anyway  I ended up  added a court of throne and roses to my to read pile, wanting to give Sarah a chance before meeting her and  thinking that that book would maybe suit me more. When I was at this lovely bookshop in Kopenhagen, I saw they had all of Sarah's book. Initially I walked out of that bookshop without buying anything. I walked back in 10 minutes later wanting to buy A Court of Thrones and Roses and A Court of Mist and Fury, but I couldn't resist bringing this book as well. A friend of mine recommended this one. Back at the hotel I picked it up, started reading this book,tried to put it down a view times but picked it back up immediately. This story sucked me in and I couldn't put it down. I ended up really loving it and kicking myself in the but for not bringing the other books in this series as well.  

What is this book all about
Well there is allot going on in this book so It will be very hard to tell you guys about it without spoiling thing. 
Celaena is an famous 18 year old assassin. She got cought and send to Endovier, a labor death camp. One day the prince of adarlan found her and gave her a choice. She could either sit out her sentence in Endovier or compete against other thieves etc to become the Kings champion. If she won the competitions and be his champion for four years she would gain her freedom back.   Celaena takes the deal and sets off to Adarlan to compete. During the competition Celaena learns that not everything in this castle and the other competitors is what it seems. Competitors are being murdered, and ripped apart right and left. Loosing a chalange isn't an option either because loosing would mean being send back to Endovier. Can Celaena survive the chalanges and avoid being killed as well? Will she be able to resist the sexy and charming prince? And will the captain of the guard learn to trust her? 

What did I like about this book
I liked Celaena. She's a funny, witty and strong character. At one point I did wonder if she could live up to the reputation she has. And if she is as great als she says she is? She thinks that allot. But in the end it turned out that she is indeed pretty bad ass. The only thing I'd wish is that she let her action speak for hear instead of the author repeatedly telling us that she is indeed a bad ass (not that her actions didn't prove that, because they did)
I also really liked crown prince Dorian. He was a funny guy. I could tell that he also cared a great deal about his people and was a genuine  good person. I also liked the chemistry and the banter between Celaena and Dorian. 
I liked Chaol. He was the strong, reliable and calm character. His character really works well with Celaena's.  He's a kind guy that stand by his morals. He has a difficult time seeing past Celaena being an assassin but he warms up to her in the end. I really liked seeing that.
I really liked princess Nehemia. She was really liked Celaena. I liked the two of them togehter, they made great friends. 
Overall I did had a bit of a hard time keeping up with all the different terms and names being used but I got the hang of it in the end. This story is well written and I can't wait to read more about Celaena's journey. I really hope Chaol and especially Dorian will play a big part in that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment