Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Review: "Shatter Me Series by Tahereh Mafi"

Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.


Title: Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1)
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Publisher: Electric Monkey
Amount of Pages:338
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopia, 
Date Read: 12-06-2018

Favorite Quote:“The moon is a loyal companion.
It never leaves. It’s always there, watching, steadfast, knowing us in our light and dark moments, changing forever just as we do. Every day it’s a different version of itself. Sometimes weak and wan, sometimes strong and full of light. The moon understands what it means to be human.
Uncertain. Alone. Cratered by imperfections.”


Review:
I liked this book more than I expected too. But I guess I'm a sucker for broken characters and their journey. 
This book is definitely Ya, the insta love and undying immediate love is definitely present in this book. But it had a bit of a twist that I am so happy happened. It made the story more interesting.

What is this book about:
This book is about Julliette. Julliette has been put in asylum for something she couldn't control. You see Julliette has an unique ability, if someone touches her bare skin, they die. Very inconvenient. 
You see the world is dying, and dying fast. People are dying, animals are dying. Living comes so expensive that many can't afford the. The Establishment promised to fix it all, that it will become better, but so far all they have done is establish a global tyrany. 
The asylum Julliette was stuck in is more a prison, a horrible prison than it's a facility people get help. After spending over 200 days in solitude, Julliette gets a cellmate. A handsome guy named Adam with bright blue eyes and tattoos all over his arm. 
After a few days Julliette, to her surprise, is being let out. She hopes that they'll finally take pity on her and kill her. 
She then meets the head of the sector she lives in, Werner. A hot 19 year old with beautiful blonde hair. He seems very interested in her and went to use her powers.
Julliette is desperate to escape the tyrany that wants to use her powers for their own gain. She doesn't want to hurt people but she can't do it alone. Help will come in a way she didn't expect, in the way of a boy she knew a long time ago...

What did I like about this book:
I liked the setting, it found it interesting. I was very interested to see where the story was heading. 
I liked Julliette, she was so broken, and I really wanted to see her heal and see what she's capable of. 
I liked Adam, I think he was a good guy. 

I was okey with the immediate I love yo, can't live without you factor. I would have preferred to learn more about the why. Why do they love each other after a few chapters. But like I said above, that what you can expect of a YA book. 

Overall I really enjoyed reading this book and I can't wait to see how this story will continue. 

Rating:





___________________________________________________________________________

It should have taken Juliette a single touch to kill Warner. But his mysterious immunity to her deadly power has left her shaken, wondering why her ultimate defense mechanism failed against the person she most needs protection from.

She and Adam were able to escape Warner’s clutches and join up with a group of rebels, many of whom have powers of their own. Juliette will finally be able to actively fight against The Reestablishment and try to fix her broken world. And perhaps these new allies can help her shed light on the secret behind Adam’s—and Warner’s—immunity to her killer skin.





Title:Unravel Me (Shatter Me #2)
Author:Tahereh Mafi
Publisher:Electric Monkey 
Amount of Pages:461
Genre:Young Adult, Dystopia, Romance

Date Read:12-06-2018

Favorite Quote:“Books are easily destroyed. But words will live as long as people can remember them.”

“I want to be the friend you fall hopelessly in love with. The one you take into your arms and into your bed and into the private world you keep trapped in your head. I want to be that kind of friend. The one who will memorize the things you say as well as the shape of your lips when you say them. I want to know every curve, every freckle, every shiver of your body.

I want to know where to touch you, I want to know how to touch you. I want to know convince you to design a smile just for me. Yes, I do want to be your friend. I want to be your best friend in the entire world.”


“Loneliness is a strange sort of thing.
It creeps on you, quiet and still, sits by your side in the dark, strokes by your hair as you sleep. It wraps itself around your bones, squeezing so tight you almost can't breathe. It leaves lies in your heart, lies next to you at night, leaches the light out of every corner. It's a constant companion, clasping your hand only to yank you down when you're struggling to stand up.
You wake up in the morning and wonder who you are. You fail to fall asleep at night and tremble in your skin. You doubt you doubt you doubt.
do I
don't I
should I
why won't I
And even when you're ready to let go. When you're ready to break free. When you're ready to be brand-new. Loneliness is an old friend stand beside you in the mirror, looking you in the eye, challenging you to live your life without it. You can't find the words to fight yourself, to fight the words screaming that you're not enough never enough never ever enough.
Loneliness is a bitter, wretched companion.
Sometimes it just won't let go.”


Review:
I really like this book! It is so similar to the X-man. It's basically a retelling in a way of the X-man. Luckily I do like the X-men. It was very interesting. 
You might not understand yet but I really like Werner. I found him interesting even in the first book. There is something about him. 

What is this book about:
This book begins where the first one ended. Julliette and Adam escaped from Werners clutches. They, together with James (Adams brother) and Kenji (Adams friend and former soldier) made it to Omega Point. A save place, a place where the resistance lives, and a place where there are more people with abilities live. 
There they find out that Julliette isn't the only one with abilities, there are so many more that can do things. But what surprises her the most is that Adam has abilities to. It's why he can touch her. Everything seems to be well, but for how long. Werner is still looking for Julliette, and he won't give up easy. Not only that but it seems like Adam's gift comes with a price, him touching Julliette comes with a price. Is she willing to let him pay that price and the consequences that might come with it?

What did I like about this book
I want to start with saying that you don't need to worry, this series doesn't contain a love triangle. If it had I would have stopped reading because I really don't like love triangles. 
I like Julliette, she's slowly on her way to become stronger. She is struggling though. She still feels like the emotional broken girl that is craving love and acceptance. She is struggling to do things for her, accepts herself and find a backbone. 
I am so happy that we keep learning more about Werner. I was right, there is so much more to him than we thing. I am curious though why he feels so strongly about Julliette. It wasn't explained, just that he does. 
I really like Kenji as well, he's a bit of an asshole sometimes but he means well and he's hilarious. 
I'm not saying that I dislike Adam, because I do, but there is no development really into his character. He doesn't handle certain events well, and I understand that. It's hard, and I don't like seeing him in pain but he really is on his way of losing his dignity. 


Rating:




___________________________________________________________________________

With Omega Point destroyed, Juliette doesn’t know if the rebels, her friends, or even Adam are alive. But that won’t keep her from trying to take down The Reestablishment once and for all. Now she must rely on Warner, the handsome commander of Sector 45. The one person she never thought she could trust. The same person who saved her life. He promises to help Juliette master her powers and save their dying world . . . but that’s not all he wants with her.








Title:Ignite Me (Shatter Me#3)
Author:Tahereh Mafi
Publisher:Electric Monkey 
Amount of Pages:421
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopia, Romance

Date Read:12-06-2018

Favorite Quote: “Words, I think, are such unpredictable creatures.
No gun, no sword, no army or king will ever be more powerful than a sentence. Swords may cut and kill, but words will stab and stay, burying themselves in our bones to become corpses we carry into the future, all the time digging and failing to rip their skeletons from our flesh.”


“The tattoo is just setting below his hip bone.

H e l l i s e m p t y
a n d a l l t h e d e v i l s a r e h e r e
I kiss my way across the words.
Kissing away the devils.
Kissing away the pain.”


Review:
I really love the development in this book. I really enjoyed reading this book. Sometimes the back and forth became a bit frustrating but it payed of in the end. 
The war scene was a bit disappointing because we didn't see much of it. And what we saw, was over quite fast. 

What is this book about:
This book continues where the second one ended. Point omega is gone, Julliette got shot in the chest and was saved by Werner. 
After she wakes up she learns what happened to point omega, what happened to all the people there, her friends. She needs Werners help to revenge them, to fight, to not let the Establishment win. 

What did I like about this book:
I like the person Julliette is becoming. She is becoming strong and independent. I like that about her. That she is slowly crawling out of the black hole she was in for so long. I like how realistic that felt because even now she hasn't fully recovered. There will be bad days, and good days. 
I was frustrated with her back and forth between her and Werner. Make up you mind already woman. 
Adam really acted like a salty bitch. I understand why, that he was hurting but at one point I just wanted to smack him in the face and say snap out of it. 
I just love Werner, we still don't know all of him but I like what I'm seeing so far. He is so much more that he shows to the world. He reminds me of Rhysand from the A Court of Thorns and Roses series. 
I look forward to seeing more about Julliette and Werners relationship but I'm also scared because I saw some things about the 4th book that makes me nervous. 

Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment