Sunday, January 20, 2019

Review "Blackbird by Molly McAdams"

I live in a world few know exist. I’ve trained for this. I know what to say, what to do, and how to act. I’ve perfected the lethal calm required for this life. 
Now it’s time to buy my first girl. But all it takes is one look at the brave girl who starts singing mid-auction for that calm to slip. 
Briar Chapman is going to be the death of me, and I don’t care. I’ll take every day with her until that death comes, and I’ll welcome it when it does. 

On the outside, Lucas Holt is what nightmares are made of. A man cloaked in darkness, with sin-filled eyes and an enticing grin. A devil so devastatingly beautiful and cruel that his very presence instills fear. 
But beneath his terrifying, ever-calm exterior is an affectionate man haunted by a past that refuses to stay buried. And Lucas looks at me as though he’s finally found the only person who can make it all go away. 
We’re a battle of the brightest day and the darkest night—and I want to lie in the wake of our war.


Title: Blackbird (Redemption #1)
Author: Moly McAdams 
Publisher: Jester Creations LLC
Edition: Kindle
Amount of Pages: 334
Genre: New Adult, 'Dark', Romance

Date Read: 15-01-2019 - 17-01-2019

Favorite Quote: "You can't attempt to touch me with you light and not expect me to darken your soul. I'll always try to consume your light, just as you always try to consume my dark. It's who we are, but it won't change who we are. It's those pieces of colliding that make us incredible."

Review:
This is my second buddy read with Jessica. She doesn't like dark romances that much but I do. So when I read this blurb I was excited to read it. It how ever didn't match my expectations. It fell flat. 
It's not that I think it's a bad book, because it's not. It's definitely not that dark, especially not compared some other dark romances I read. 
This book says it has 334 pages but to me it sometimes felt like 1000. I was struggling to get through it. Again not because it was bad, but it was so slow. There where allot of thoughts, allot of talk (or so it felt) but hardly any action. Hardly anything that would back up the talk and show me why. Why Lucas was so bad, dark and dangerous. He hardly showed why. Why the two of them fell in love and that it was different than stockholm syndrome, because that's what it felt like to me. 
I wanted more, I wanted anything to happen, to pick up the phase, but it didn't. 

What is this book about:
This story begins with a mix up. A case of being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Briar ends up being mistaken for someone else, someone that lives in an abusive home, someone that no one would miss because she had no one, and got kidnapped. She got sold at an auction and became someones property. However Briar does have parents, she has a fiance that she loves, she has people that would look for her. That is the first mistake the buyer made. 
Lucas shouldn't have bought Briar, it went against the rules his mentor thought him, but the second he saw Briar, the second she started singing he just had to have her. So he bought her. He bought her with the intent to do what he was thought to do, but can he? 
The more time he spends with Briar the more he can feel his mask slipping, he can feel himself falling for her and that is a dangerous mistake to make.

What did I like about this book:
For me Lucas was the saving grace of this book. I liked him and there was depth to him. He tried to do the right thing, it might sound unbelievable since he is in the human trafficking business but believe me there is more to him than meets the eye. 
In the beginning I did like Briar but I started to like her less and less throughout the story. She was all over the place, very wishy washy and her morals are way off. 


SPOILER
She forgave him for buying her and holding her captive in his home, she forgave him for being a part of human trafficking but when she founds out that that is a lie, that he is working with the fbi to bring down the human trafficking ring, she gets upset because he lied to her. It gets worse, when she founds out that he was forced into a gang when he was younger, and did things to survive she is mad at him, she believes that is worse than buying humans. 
END SPOILER 

The author had an opportunity to create a dark and gritty story, to show how damaging it is and how terrifying the human trafficking business really is but she didn't. If felt like there where allot of excuses being made to justify the change of heart in Briar. The explanation that no it's human trafficking, not sex trafficking because that is worse while girls bought get taught lessons through rape. (Don't worry there is no rape in this book, just mentioning of rape) 
The author tried to show that Briar wasn't suffering from stockholm syndrom with showing us other females in similar situations that where suffering from stockholm syndrom. It left a bad taste in my mouth to hear those females talk about how happy they where, that its better than where they came from and that they where excited to meet briar and that she was in the same situation as them. It's sad that they actually thought that and that they wished that fate on someone else. 

If there was more show, more action that would show me why Briar fell in love with Lucas, then I would believe that she didn't suffer from stockholm, but for me the author didn't manage to do that. 

Overall I didn't hate this book, it fell flat and I expected more. If it wasn't for Lucas and his story, then I wouldn't have given up on this book. 

Rating: 

No comments:

Post a Comment