Monday, February 10, 2020

review: "Protecting Alabama by Susan Stoker"

Alabama didn’t have a good start to life. Emotionally and physically abused by her mama, Alabama spent her high school years in foster care. People let her down, time after time, and she’d learned to rely on only herself.

Christopher “Abe” Powers earned his nickname because he tolerated nothing less than absolute honesty from the people around him. Finding the bar scene stale and having watched his friend and teammate, Wolf, find the woman of his dreams, Abe was determined to find someone to share his life with too.

Alabama and Abe had no idea their paths would cross and their prayers would be answered, but like most things in life, nothing is ever as easy as it seems at first. Two words would change both their lives and they’d have to fight hard for their happy ever after.


Title: Protecting Alabama
Series: SEAL of Protection #2
Author: Susan Stoker
Publisher: Susan Stoker
Edition: Kindle
Amount of Pages: 258
Genre: Military, Romance

Cliffhanger: [ No (hide spoiler)]
HEA/HFN: [ HFN (hide spoiler)]
Cheating: [ No (hide spoiler)]
Triggerwarnings: [ Alabama was abused and beaten badly as a child by her mother. Abe uses one of her triggers against her. She ends up being framed and spends a few days on the streets. (hide spoiler)]
Love Triangle: [ No (hide spoiler)]
Insta Love/ Insta Lust: [ Not really. (hide spoiler)]
Single Parent/Kids/Pregnancy: [ No (hide spoiler)]

Date Read: 10-02-2020

Favorite Quote: " I’ve told this before, but you’re safe with me. I promise."

Review:
I was so excited about this book! I liked the first book and I liked abe in that one. I liked the summary of this book as well. I am a sucker for a character with a tortured past. I love watching them grow and overcoming their trauma.
Sadly this book didn't deliver what I expected. I am really disappointing with how Abe acted, I honestly expected more from him. And I wish that Alabama made him grovel a bit more. He got of easy, and for everyone to push them back together. And push her to forgive him was a bit disappointing.
I was hoping for a bit more suspense in the story, like we had with the first one. And there was a little in the beginning, I remember thinking that the story got of a great start but after that nothing much happened for a while.
I felt like the author had a chance to really show growth and healing in a character with great trauma but only if she took a bit more time with it. Not have Alabama get over het trauma in no time, or so it almost seemed.

It wasn't a terrible book but I was a bit disappointing.

What is this book about:
This book is about Alabama and Christopher or Abe as he is called by his team. They meet on a party for Christophers (then) girlfriends company. The party doesn't go as planned when the office catches fire. Alabama helps Abe and helps save lots of people when guiding them to a different exit. After that Abe breaks up with his then girlfriend, something he was planning to do for a while, and pursues Alabama. He never had to work so hard persuading a woman to go out with him and it's refreshing. Slowly Alabama opens up bit by bit but just when things seem to be going great, live gets in the way. This is the time for Abe to prove to Alabama that people do care about her, but can he do it.

What did I like/love:
I did like the setting and the world building. It was fun seeing Mathew (wolf) and Caroline again.
I liked the beginning of the book, it gotten of from a great start. I liked Alabama just fine, I really felt for her. I wish she had a bit more backbone and stood her ground a bit longer. I really felt angry on her behalf and I wished she was a well.
I love that the team wanted to help Alabama and took her in as their own.

What did I dislike/hate:
I am so mad at Abe. I liked him in the beginning but her really crossed a line. The way he talked in the beginning wasn't to my liking either but he made up for it later or so I thought.
I didn't like his crappy excuse and that people pushed Alabama to forgive him. I didn't like that she ended up forgiving him so quickly. He really deserved to grovel a lot more.
Abe went on and on that he wanted to dump his then girlfriend but it wasn't the time and place for it, that he would still be respectful and stuff till there was a right time to break it off. But then picked a terrible time to break it off anyway.

Rating:
2 it was decent stars

No comments:

Post a Comment