Thursday, February 14, 2019

Review "Soul in Darkness by Wendy Higgins"

People travel from afar to the small isle in the Aegean Sea hoping for a single glimpse of Princess Psyche. Their adoration for the mortal woman is so all-consuming that citizens begin to shower her with the very gifts and offerings they once left at the alter of Venus, goddess of love and beauty. 

But gods are known for their jealousy. 

Cupid, the god of love, takes pleasure in causing strife and mischief in the lives of humans. He uses love as a weapon, humoring in the weakness of people at the whims of their feelings. When his mother Venus approaches him about punishing the human girl who dares to steal her offerings and affections from the people, Cupid gladly accepts. 

Psyche's punishment is to be given to a mysterious creature who only comes to her in the dark of night under the pact that she will never lay eyes on him. She is terrified of this stranger, who the oracle described as a serpent. Her mate, however, is masterful in his dealings with his bride. He takes his time, morphing her fears into different sensations completely. 


Title: Soul in Darkness
Author: Wendy Higgins
Publisher: Amazon Digital Services LLC
Edition: Kindle
Amount of Pages: 289
Genre: New Adult, Fantasy, Mythology, Romance

Date Read: 13-02-2019

Favorite Quote: “Sometimes we fear that which we should embrace because we do not know better.”

Review:
I was really excited to read this book! I love Greek mythology so I couldn't wait to get started. 
I ended up being a bit disappointing that it wasn't actually Greek Mythology. It was mostly Roman mythology with some Greek mythology mixed into it. It was a bit hard to keep track sometimes. 
I found Psyche a bit naive, quite childlike and sometimes a bit slow? It fits the time period of the book so I can't fault her for that but I hoped it would change throughout the book and it didn't really. 
I do know if it was me I'd be shot down in seconds, I wouldn't be able to bed the gods for forgiveness, and especially not do the things Psyche did to be forgiven for something she didn't even do. I'd be to petty and stubborn for that hahaa.
I never read anything about Cupid and Psyche, so I found it interesting to learn more about their story/myth. 

What is this story about:
Like I said this is the story about Cupid and Psyche. Cupid is the roman god of love. Eros, in greek mythology. 
Psyche is a human princess. She was born to a king and queen that where blessed by Venus (Roman goddess of love). She was born so beautifully that thats all people seem to see. Her beauty was legendary. people come to see her from all over the world. They worship her like they would the gods. But they seem to forget the god(dess) that made this all possible and that pisses them off.
When Psyche is off age she's told she would go to the highest tower and she would wait for her husband. If she didn't her parents and people would be punished heavily because they betrayed the gods. Her husband would be a winged serpent, a monster. She would not be able to see or touch him. Will Psyche be able to survive? Is what she was told true? She will have to decide whether or not she can trust her own instincts before it's to late, or will she continue to listen to that little voice in this is a trap, that she is being lied to. 

What did I like about this book
I liked to learn about the cupid/psyche myth. I found it an interesting and nice story. 
I really liked cupid. I found him interesting. I put two and two together in the beginning of the book and was baffled it took psyche that long. When he told her a specific name it should have be clear to Psyche hahah. 
Anyhow I loved the beginning of the book. It was interesting. The third part was a bit much for me, in the way that I couldn't really connect with it as I wouldn't be able to beg or do whatever it took to be forgiven for something I didn't even do. I'm not religious so I can't connect with having faith in gods. 
I wish that the author would have picked one mythology and stuck with it. It would have made it less confusing for me. I don't know what myths overlap or not but I found it a bit confusing. 

Overall I enjoyed reading this series. It's a nice story and it's well written. 

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment