Saturday, March 9, 2019

Review "Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling"

"Turning the envelope over, his hand trembling, Harry saw a purple wax seal bearing a coat of arms; a lion, an eagle, a badger and a snake surrounding a large letter 'H'."

Harry Potter has never even heard of Hogwarts when the letters start dropping on the doormat at number four, Privet Drive. Addressed in green ink on yellowish parchment with a purple seal, they are swiftly confiscated by his grisly aunt and uncle. Then, on Harry's eleventh birthday, a great beetle-eyed giant of a man called Rubeus Hagrid bursts in with some astonishing news: Harry Potter is a wizard, and he has a place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. An incredible adventure is about to begin!


Title: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Author: J.K. Rowling. Narrator: Stephen Fry
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Edition:  Audiobook
Number of Pages: 320
Genre: Teen, Fantasy

Date read: 16-03-2018 - 21-03-2018


Quote: “It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.”

“It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.” 

Review: 
This is the first audio book I've ever listened to. I tried before but just couldn't do it, either the voice wasn't right or their reading style didn't suit me. But in this case I loved it. It helped that I've read this book so many times so I knew what was happening, so if I missed a part I still knew what was going on.
Listening to the audio made me remember details from the book that I've forgotten. It made me experience the book in a way I haven't before.
I like Stephen Fry's reading style and his voice suits the book.

Harry Potter is just one of those story's that I'll love forever. I don't think I'll ever get bored of.


Rating:  






*************************************************************************************************
Harry Potter's summer has included the worst birthday ever, doomy warnings from a house-elf called Dobby, and rescue from the Dursleys by his friend Ron Weasley in a magical flying car! Back at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry for his second year, Harry hears strange whispers echo through empty corridors - and then the attacks start.









Title: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter #2)
Author: J.K. Rowling. Narrator: Stephen Fry
Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing
Edition: Audiobook
Number of Pages: 252
Genre: Teen, Fantasy

Date read: 08-04-2018 - 03-05-2018 


Quote: “It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”


Review: 

This book isn't my favorite in the series. Not that I don't like it because I do like it but it doesn't compare to the rest. 
It was so fun to reread this book in another way. The audio read by Stephen is really good. It made me remember things that I've forgotten. I didn't realize how much I've forgotten or thought happened in a different way than I remembered. 

Rating: 





*************************************************************************************************
"Welcome to the Knight Bus, emergency transport for the stranded witch or wizard. Just stick out your wand hand, step on board and we can take you anywhere you want to go."

When the Knight Bus crashes through the darkness and screeches to a halt in front of him, it's the start of another far from ordinary year at Hogwarts for Harry Potter. Sirius Black, escaped mass-murderer and follower of Lord Voldemort, is on the run - and they say he is coming after Harry. In his first ever Divination class, Professor Trelawney sees an omen of death in Harry's tea leaves.... But perhaps most terrifying of all are the Dementors patrolling the school grounds, with their soul-sucking kiss....
 



Title: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter #3)
Author: J.K. Rowling. Narrator: Stephen Fry
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Edition:  Audiobook
Number of Pages: 
Genre: Teen, Fantasy

Date read: 03-05-2018 - 06-05-2018


Quote: "Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."

“I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.” 
Review: 
This book is probably my favorite in the entire series. You can really feel a change in the series. Things are starting to set up for the rest of the books. You can tell it's going from a childrens book to a teenage book. 
The tone gets a bit darker and more serious. 

Rating: 





*************************************************************************************************
Harry Potter is midway through his training as a wizard and his coming of age. Harry wants to get away from the pernicious Dursleys and go to the International Quidditch Cup. He wants to find out about the mysterious event that's supposed to take place at Hogwarts this year, an event involving two other rival schools of magic, and a competition that hasn't happened for a hundred years. He wants to be a normal, fourteen-year-old wizard. But unfortunately for Harry Potter, he's not normal - even by wizarding standards. And in his case, different can be deadly. --back cover



Title: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter #4)
Author: J.K. Rowling. Narrated: Stephen Fry.
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Edition: Audiobook
Amount of Pages: 636
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy 

Date Read:16-05-2018 - 08-06-2018

Favorite Quote: “If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

“Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it.” 

Review:
I loved reading this book again, or well listen to it. It made me remember things that I had forgotten. The movie plot is so fresh in my mind but it shows how many details were altered, how different things went in the books. I love being back in this world again.

Rating:





*************************************************************************************************
"'You are sharing the Dark Lord's thoughts and emotions. The Headmaster thinks it inadvisable for this to continue. He wishes me to teach you how to close your mind to the Dark Lord.'"
Dark times have come to Hogwarts. After the Dementors' attack on his cousin Dudley, Harry Potter knows that Voldemort will stop at nothing to find him. There are many who deny the Dark Lord's return, but Harry is not alone: a secret order gathers at Grimmauld Place to fight against the Dark forces. Harry must allow Professor Snape to teach him how to protect himself from Voldemort's savage assaults on his mind. But they are growing stronger by the day and Harry is running out of time....




Title: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter #5)
Author: J.K. Rowling
Publisher: Pottermore
Edition: Audiobook
Amount of Pages: 766
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult, Magic

Date Read: 20-07-2018 - 29-07-2018


Favorite Quote: “You care so much you feel as though you will bleed to death with the pain of it.” 


Review:

I dreaded listening to this book because that ending always makes me cry. Sirius death really gets me every time. I do love listening to these books. Stephen Fry does an amazing job. 
I love being back in the wizarding world in a new way I haven't before. 


Rating:





*************************************************************************************************
It is the middle of the summer, but there is an unseasonal mist pressing against the windowpanes. Harry Potter is waiting nervously in his bedroom at the Dursleys' house in Privet Drive for a visit from Professor Dumbledore himself. One of the last times he saw the Headmaster was in a fierce one-to-one duel with Lord Voldemort, and Harry can't quite believe that Professor Dumbledore will actually appear at the Dursleys' of all places. Why is the Professor coming to visit him now? What is it that cannot wait until Harry returns to Hogwarts in a few weeks' time? Harry's sixth year at Hogwarts has already got off to an unusual start, as the worlds of Muggle and magic start to intertwine...


Title: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter #6)
Author: J.K. Rowling Narrator: Stephen Fry
Publisher:Pottermore
Edition: Audiobook
Amount of Pages: 668
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Magic

Date Read: 06-08-2018 - 11-01-2019

Favorite Quote: It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more"

"Why are you worrying about YOU-KNOW-WHO when you should be worrying about YOU-KNOW-POO? The Constipation sensation that's gripping the nation." 


Review:
It took me so long to get through this book. I dreaded that ending. I feared hearing it would break my heart in a all now way than seeing it and reading it did. And it did. Especially the emotions and explanation that came after that.

I loved (re)learning thins that I don't even remember knowing. And ofcourse refreshing my memory of certain events. For some reason I have the movie plot freshly in my mind but I forgot allot of details from the books.

Stephen Fry did an amazing job narrating these book.

Rating:





*************************************************************************************************
As he climbs into the sidecar of Hagrid's motorbike and takes to the skies, leaving Privet Drive for the last time, Harry Potter knows that Lord Voldemort and the Death Eaters are not far behind. The protective charm that has kept Harry safe until now is broken, but he cannot keep hiding. The Dark Lord is breathing fear into everything Harry loves and to stop him Harry will have to find and destroy the remaining Horcruxes. The final battle must begin - Harry must stand and face his enemy... 






Title: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter #7)
Author: J.K. Rowling
Publisher: Pottermore
Edition: Audiobook
Amount of Pages: 25 hours
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy

Date Read: 13-01-2019 - 26-02-2019

Favorite Quote: “Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all those who live without love.” 

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

Review:
It has been a while since I read or watched Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, so some details where a bit fuzzy. But what and ending to an epic series.
It was so bittersweet finishing the series. 
It's amazing that after all this time, I still love harry potter, and I probably always will (yes I know what I did there ahah or tried to do).
I'm sure it won't be long before i'll dive back into the wizarding world

Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment