Saturday, December 29, 2018

Review: "Covenant Series by Jennifer L. Armentrout"

For three years, Alexandria has lived among mortals—pretending to be like them and trying to forget the duty she'd been trained to fulfill as a child of a mortal and a demigod. At seventeen, she's pretty much accepted that she's a freak by mortal standards… and that she'll never be prepared for that duty. 

According to her mother, that’s a good thing. 

But as every descendant of the gods knows, Fate has a way of rearing her ugly head. A horrifying attack forces Alex to flee Miami and try to find her way back to the very place her mother had warned her she should never return—the Covenant. Every step that brings her closer to safety is one more step toward death… because she's being hunted by the very creatures she'd once trained to kill. 

The daimons have found her.


Title: Daimon (Covenant #0.5)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Edition: Paperback
Amount of Pages: 62
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Mythology, Romance

Date Read: 18-12-2018 - 20-12-2018

Favorite Quote: “Actually, I was prone to random acts of stupidity. I considered it to be one of my talents.” 

Review:
I liked this little preview. However I'm glad that I read it after Half-blood. That way I was already familiar with the story and the characters. You can easily start with this one, it's a good way to start the series. I'm normally just not that into prequel novella's.

What is this story about:
This story is about Alex(andra) who isn't like any other 17 year old girl. She isn't exactly human. She is a decedent of the Greek gods. Well she is a descendant of a pure blood (hematoi) and a human, making her a half-blood. 
Three years ago her mother took her away from the covenant ( a school for half-blood and pures, while also a community for the hematoi to live) and they've been on the run ever since. Ever moving, never settling. 
One night the thing that Alex always worried about happend, the Daimons, Pure Bloods turned addicted to Aether (a magical force in their blood) which turned them into very lethal monsters, found them...
This story gives a little more background to Alex and her mother. 

What did I like about this story
I liked that we saw a bit more of Alex's mom. We got to know her a little bit, see what she was like. Even though we know from Half-blood what happened to Alex and her Mom, it's interesting to see it actually happening. 
Like I said above, you don't have to start the series with Daimon, but it's a good place to start if you want to. 

Overall I enjoyed reading this little book. 

Rating:






~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi - pure-bloods - have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals - well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures.

Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:

Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden.

Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem - staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.



Title: Half-Blood (Covenant #1)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton 

Edition: Paperback
Number of Pages: 383
Genre: Young adult, Fantasy, Romance, Mythology

Date read: 1st 12-2012 2nd 18-12-2018 - 20-12-2018

Favorite Quote: “Okay. I’m ready to move onto something else, like practicing with knives or defense against the dark arts. Cool things.”
“Did you just quote Harry Potter?”

Review
It's been such a long time since I read this series but it stayed with me non the less. I still remember the main plot. 
I loved diving back into this world. Reading things that I didn't remember.

What is this book about 
This book is about Greek mythology. Only they aren't myths. They're real. The gods had children called Hematoi. Those with two hematoi parents where called pure bloods. Children of the gods. Those with a pure blood and human parent are called half-blood.
Half blood are thought of as the lesser species. They where either (forced) to be servants or became guards/sentinals.
Alex is a 17 year old half-blood. She lived her entire live in the Covenant, a hematoi community, studying and training to become a sentinal. That was until 3 years ago her mother pulled her from the covenant and ran. 
However they found alex and brought her back to the covenant. Alex has one chance to prove that she can catch up and become a sentinal or become a servant. Aiden, a hot Pure blood, offered to help her train and get her back on track. Sounds simple right? If only things where that simple...

What did I like/love about this book
I love Greek mythology so I found that aspect really interesting.
I still love Alex, she is such a funny bad ass character. Its fun to relive her journey again.
I also like Aiden. He and alex are great together. The stupid breeding rules are still pissing me off. It's just wrong. 

Rating:






~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is need. And then there is Fate. Being destined to become some kind of supernatural electrical outlet isn't exactly awesome--especially when Alexandria's other half is everywhere she goes. Seth's in her training room, outside her classes, and keeps showing up in her bedroom--so not cool. Their connection does have some benefits, like staving off her nightmares of the tragic showdown with her mother, but it has no effect on what Alex feels for the forbidden, pure-blooded Aiden. Or what he will do--and sacrifice--for her. When daimons infiltrate the Covenants and attack students, the gods send furies--lesser gods determined to eradicate any threat to the Covenants and to the gods, and that includes the Apollyon--and Alex. And if that and hordes of aether-sucking monsters didn't blow bad enough, a mysterious threat seems willing to do anything to neutralize Seth, even if that means forcing Alex into servitude--or killing her. When the gods are involved, some decisions can never, ever be undone. 


Title: Pure (Covenant #2)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Hodder Paperback
Edition: Paperback
Number of Pages: 400
Genre: Fantasy, Mythology, Young adult, Romance 

Date read: 1st 04-2012 2nd 20-12-2018 - 21-12-2018

Favorite Quote: “You'll become the center of someone's world one day. And he'll be the luckiest son of a bitch on this earth.” 

Review:
I find it amazing that after all these years, I still love this series so much. That even though I know what happens I still get nervous. I still get the feelings I did when I first read this book. 
This book definitely doesn't suffer from second book syndrome. It's so good. 
My heart goes out for Alex, shit just keep getting dumped on her plate. I like Seth but not with Alex, they are to alike for it to work and ofcourse there's Aiden. 

What is this book about: 
This book begins where the last one ended. Alex and Aiden are still training. Alex is back on track on becoming a sentinel, and unfortunately for her she also has to train with Seth. 
As much as she wants do dislike Seth, there is a part of her that likes him.
Not everything is going well, with Halfs being able to turn into daimons the threat on the covenant is high. Fear and paranoia is never a good thing. 
Alex has yet to pay another price, and it's not one she was willing to pay, one she never want herself or her friends to pay, but sadly that wasn't up to her. 

What did I like/love about this book:
I liked Seth, he's a funny guy but he has serious boundary issues. 
I loved seeing this story pan out again. How things are being set in motion, its amazing.
I love Alex, she is such a strong characters. She has her flaws, everyone does but she does her best dealing with them. She is always trying to do the right thing. And her sass, it's just hilarious. 
I also love Aiden, I mean who doens't like the dark hair, light eyes look, but he is just a good guy. 
I liked seeing more of him, his sense of humor, his strength, and his desire to do right by alex, even if that means pushing her away. 

Rating:






~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"History is on repeat, and things didn't go so well the last time. "

Alexandria isn't sure she's going to make it to her eighteenth birthday--to her Awakening. A long-forgotten, fanatical order is out to kill her, and if the Council ever discovers what she did in the Catskills, she's a goner... and so is Aiden.

If that's not freaky enough, whenever Alex and Seth spend time "training"--which really is just Seth's code word for some up-close and personal one-on-one time--she ends up with another mark of the Apollyon, which brings her one step closer to Awakening ahead of schedule. Awesome.

But as her birthday draws near, her entire world shatters with a startling revelation and she's caught between love and Fate. One will do anything to protect her. One has been lying to her since the beginning. Once the gods have revealed themselves, unleashing their wrath, lives will be irrevocably changed... and destroyed.

Those left standing will discover if love is truly greater than Fate...
 

Title: Deity (Covenant #3)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Hodder Paperback
Edition: Paperback
Number of Pages: 480
Genre: Fantasy, Mythology, Young adult, Romance

Date read: 1st: 2012 2nd: 21-12-2018 - 22-12-2018

Favorite Quote: “That simple act stole my breath, my heart. But even as he pulled away, I realized that he couldn't steal something he already had.” 

Review
Well shit just got real! Allot happens in this book. Things that cannot be reversed, no matter how much we might want them to. Actions have consequences. 

What is this book about: 
Things got set into motion that will change the lives of everyone. Alex and Seth are continuing to develop, they are still training but Alex promised to give him a chance. But she can't just forget Aiden. 
People aren't happy, they are scared and someone will go to extreme lengths to make sure Alex doens't make it to her 18th birthday. While others are trying to jump start her awakening. 
Things are going to change, they have to change, but will things change for the better or the worst....

What did I like/love about this book:
I loved the thrill and excitement of this book. I just didn't want to put it down, had to rediscover what happened next. The story, the world, the characters have really sucked me in. 
I can tell from a mile a way that Seth's being manipulated, that he is being used, and that he is lying to Alex. I could tell that the first time I read this book as well. It's sad to see because I know what a good guy Seth can be. He didn't have it easy and I feel for him. 
I do love the development with Alex and Aiden. I'm glad that Aidens resolve finally broke so to say ahahaha. They deserve to be happy. 
And that ending, my god, it still hurts. I'm anxious to read on even though I know full well what's going to happen next. 

Rating:





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Aiden St. Delphi will do anything to save Alex. Even if it means doing the one thing he will never forgive himself for. Even if it means making war against the gods.














Title: Elixir (Covenant #3.5)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Edition: Paperback
Number of Pages: 74
Genre: Fantasy, Mythology, Romance, Young Adult

Date read: 1st: 2012 2nd: 28-12-2018

Favorite Quote: "Agapi Mou"

Review:
I really loved this novella but it also broke my heart at the same time. I felt so bad for Aiden. It was awesome seeing things from his POV. 

What is this book about: 
This novella is a go between book 3 and 4. We see what happened after Alex awakened and went evil. Everything is told in Aidens point of view. Aiden is willing to do everything to help Alex even if his actions will make her hate him forever.

What did I like/love about this book:
I loved that this book was told in Aidens pov. It was nice to see what he was thinking, how he was feeling etc. I loved seeing more sides of Aiden. He is always so calm and collected and to see him get upset, how hard it was to see, was good. 
He loves Alex so much that he is willing to do something that could possible make her hate him, just to save her. 
It was odd seeing alex so subdued and naive and calm. But despite the Elixir she still knew that she loves Aiden, that says enough. 
I wish we got more from Aidens pov though. 

Rating: 




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fate isn’t something to mess with… and now, neither is Alex.

Alex has always feared two things: losing herself in the Awakening and being placed on the Elixir. But love has always been stronger than Fate, and Aiden St. Delphi is willing to make war on the gods—and Alex herself—to bring her back.

The gods have killed thousands and could destroy entire cities in their quest to stop Seth from taking Alex’s power and becoming the all-powerful God Killer. But breaking Alex’s connection to Seth isn’t the only problem. There are a few pesky little loopholes in the whole “an Apollyon can’t be killed” theory, and the only person who might know how to stop the destruction has been dead for centuries.

Finding their way past the barriers that guard the Underworld, searching for one soul among countless millions, and then somehow returning will be hard enough. Alex might be able to keep Seth from becoming the God Killer… or she might become the God Killer herself.

Title: Apollyon (Covenant #4)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Hodder Paperback
Edition: Paperback
Number of Pages: 400
Genre: Fantasy, Mythology, Young Adult, Romance

Date read: 1st 2014 2nd 27-12-2018

Favorite Quote: “And that was the thing about truths and secrets. Sometimes the truth didn't need to be known. The lie was healthier than the truth and, while some secrets could set people free, other secrets could destroy them.” 

Review:
This book! That ending! It's intense. I love that this book sucked me in just like the first time I read this book. 
I sped read through the entire thing, read it in one sitting. I couldn't put it down. 

What is this book about: 
This book stars of where the last one ended. Alex awakend and is connected to Seth. Everything he wants, she wants. Everything he feels, she feels. The thing Alex feared the most, the thing Seth promised that wouldn't happen, happened. And that's not all, he totally planned it.
Will Alex be able to break the bond between them or will Aiden have lost her forever. 
If that's not bad enough, Lucian is still waging a war against the gods, halfs and certain Pures. The gods aren't happy, and chaos is everywhere. 

What did I like/love about this book:
I loved seeing more of Alex and Aiden together. They are so darn perfect for eachother. Aiden grounds Alex, he loves her and puts her first. 
I love all the other characters as well. 
And as much of an ass Seth is, I see how he was being manipulated. He still pissed me off big time though. 

Rating:





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's a beautiful day for a war.

As the mortal world slowly slips into chaos of the godly kind, Alexandria Andros must overcome a stunning defeat that has left her shaken and in doubt of their ability to end this war once and for all.

And with all the obstacles between Alex and her happily-ever-after with the swoonworthy Aiden St. Delphi, they must now trust a deadly foe as they travel deep into the Underworld to release one of the most dangerous gods of all time.

In the stunning, action-packed climax to the bestselling Covenant series, Alex must face a terrible choice: the destruction of everything and everyone she holds dear… or the end of herself




Title: Sentinel (Covenant #5)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Hodder Paperbacks
Edition: Paperback
Number of Pages: 352
Genre: Fantasy, Mythology, Romance, Young adult

Date read: 1st 2013 2nd: 27-12-2018 - 28-12-2018

Favorite Quote: “He was my strength when I needed him to be, my friend when I needed someone to talk me down, my equal in a world where by law I would always be less than him, and honest to gods, he was the love of my life.”

Review:
This book, especially that ending, well the chapters before the ending, break my heart. This book is full of action, it's really good. 

What is this book about: 
This book picks up where the last one ended. Ares all but killed Alex. He broke her in every way possible. She survives but it will take time to get over that, to heal from that, but time is a thing they don't have. Lucian and Ares are still waging a war against the gods. Innocents are getting killed. 
Alex, Aiden and the army of awesome are trying to find a way to end the war. But killing a god requires a god killer, and the gods won't allow a god killer to live....

What did I like/love about this book
I feel like a broken cd for saying this but I loved the moments Alex and Aiden have. I love that they are more open about their relationship. They work really well as a couple. 
I feel for Seth. He dis some pretty despicable things but I see that he was manipulated and that the addiction to aether got to him. Doesn't mean he shouldn't be held responsible but he took some pretty big steps to earn forgiveness for what he has done. In the end he realized that what he was going was wrong, and thats a great first step. He and Alex would never have worked but that doesn't mean he is a bad guy. 
I loved the action and intensity of this book. I love that it still makes me feel the same things it did the first time I read it. 
Great ending for a great series! Alex remains one of my favorite heroines. 


Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment