Thursday, July 12, 2018

Review "The Last Namsara by Kristen Ciccarelli"

In the beginning, there was the Namsara: the child of sky and spirit, who carried love and laughter wherever he went. But where there is light, there must be darkness—and so there was also the Iskari. The child of blood and moonlight. The destroyer. The death-bringer.

These are the legends that Asha, daughter of the king of Firgaard, has grown up learning in hushed whispers, drawn to the forbidden figures of the past. But it isn’t until she becomes the fiercest, most feared dragon slayer in the land that she takes on the role of the next Iskari—a lonely destiny that leaves her feeling more like a weapon than a girl.

Asha conquers each dragon and brings its head to the king, but no kill can free her from the shackles that await at home: her betrothal to the cruel commandant, a man who holds the truth about her nature in his palm. When she’s offered the chance to gain her freedom in exchange for the life of the most powerful dragon in Firgaard, she finds that there may be more truth to the ancient stories than she ever could have expected. With the help of a secret friend—a slave boy from her betrothed’s household—Asha must shed the layers of her Iskari bondage and open her heart to love, light, and a truth that has been kept from her.
 


Title: The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
Author: Kristen Ciccarelli
Publisher: Hachette 
Amount of Pages: 421
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy

Date Read: 10-07-2018 - 11-07-2018

Favorite Quote: “Iskari let others define her because she thought she didn't have a choice. Because she thought she was alone and unloved.”

Review:
I found it a very interesting book. It's the first book I've read that was about dragons so I was excited to read it. And I do admit, I also bought it because of the cover. It's so pretty, it really caught my eye. 

What is this book about:
So this book is about Asha, who is also called Iskari. She is a dragon hunters and she kills dragons for her father, the king. 8 years ago Asha broke the law and told the old stories, those old stories attract dragons. And in this case it caught the attention of the first one. Things didn't go well and Asha half her body got burned. Not only that but the city she lived in was attacked and many people died. 
In order to be forgiven Asha does whatever her father tells her to. Whether she wants to or not. One things she definitely doesn't want to do is to get married to the abusive arrogant captain of her fathers army. 
One day she meets her "betrothed" slave. He doesn't seem scared of her, he seems to look her in the eye and this irks her a bit. You see there are strict laws, the slaves can't touch her, can't look at her and they are all scared of her, so why not him? 

What did I like about this book:
I think this is an amazing debut for the author. Very well done. 
I liked the dragons and I liked the old stories. I liked how everything played out. I liked that eventhough I didn't like Asha much, there was enough there to keep me interested. She showed enough of Asha to see that there was more to her. 
How Asha behaved toward those she felt where lesser is something that I didn't like much . I didn't like how the people where treated and called slaves etc. But what I did like is seeing her change her views, realizing it was wrong and that she was wrong. I could tell she was struggling to change the views she was raised on but she did do it. 
I liked the "slave" Torwin, he was a good guy. I like that he wasn't afraid and more daring. I liked how he helped her and helped change Asha. 
I feel like the Asha we saw in the beginning wasn't her true self. It was the person she thought she should be. Underneath was a lonely girl that thought very little of herself. 

Overall I enjoyed reading this book. I'm interested to see where the story leads. But after I learned that the next one isn't going to be focused on Asha and in her Pov makes me hesitate a bit. I don't feel like her story is wrapped up yet, nor that it was set up to change pov but who knows. 

Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment