Sunday, July 24, 2016

Review "The vixen and the vet by Katy Regnery"

In this modern-retelling of Beauty and the Beast, Savannah Carmichael, betrayed by an unreliable source, returns to her hometown of Danvers, Virginia with her once-promising journalism career in ruins. Given the opportunity to get back in the game by writing a patriotic human interest piece, Savannah turns her attention to the town hermit, Asher Lee, a wounded veteran who returned to Danvers eight years ago, and hasn’t been seen since.

After an IED explosion in Afghanistan took Asher’s hand and disfigured half of his face, he's lived a quiet life on the outskirts of Danvers where the locals respect his privacy…that is, until Savannah Carmichael comes calling in a borrowed sundress with a plate of homemade brownies. When Asher agrees to be interviewed by Savannah, he starts feeling things for the beautiful reporter that he hasn’t felt in years.

Misfits in small-town Danvers, Savannah and Asher create a bond right away, touching each other’s hearts in ways neither thought possible. When a terrible mistake threatens to drive them apart, they’ll have to decide if the love they found in one another’s arms is strong enough to fight for their hard-won happily ever after.
 

Review
I'm not sure what to write for my review because I'm not really sure how I feel about this book. I find it very hard to rate it because I just loved loved loved the main character Asher. I just love the guy. And while I like the h (heroin) in the beginning I grew to not really like her throughout the story. I love the Idea of this book and normally I find romance like this a bit to sappy but I knew what kind of book this would be when I went in, seeing as it's spin on disney's beauty and the beast.

What is this book about. 
This book is about Asher (H, hero) and Savannah (h heroin). Asher is a vet, while on tour in Afghanistan he got injured pretty badly. A bomb blew of his left hand, injured his leg, and messed up his face pretty badly. After returning home he kin of became a hermit because he couldn't deal with the gasping and stares of disgust he got from the locals.
Savannah is a journalist, she worked for a pretty big news paper in new york but got screwed over and got fired. She went back home to lick her wond. She got an opportunity to get another job. For that she has to write a piece for the forth of july. She decides to write it on the local vet who got back pretty injured from the war and hasn't been seen much after that.
When Savannah and Asher met he wasn't really into letting her write her story but decided to do it after all. While they got to know each other they became friends and savannah learned that there was much more to this injured, disfigured guy. They grow closer and closer. Helping Asher to get back to the land of the living. While savannah wants to write about ashers experience in the war, his injuries and the less then warm welcome when he got back home, it isn't what the editor wants.
Savannah will have to choose about Asher and their relationship or her career...

What did I like about this book.
Well I just love asher. He is such a sweet and strong guy. He has an amazing personality. He went trough so much and deserves the world in my opinion.
Like I said I liked savannah just fine in the beginning. She was oke, don't know what more I can say about her. She i strong willed and is really going for her career which is admirable but like she said herself she can get a bit tunnel visioned about things. She made a very huge mistake close to the end of the book and I really disliked her since then. I saw it coming but I hoped she notice the mistake she was going to make ( she did but pushed it away and made excuses for herself earlier in the story) but she didn't.  She realize what she's done but it was to late. She tried to redeem herself but in my opinion she didn't. Yes she did a good thing in the end that redeemed herself in the eyes of asher, don't get me wrong it was a really good thing but not fully redeemable in my eyes. One thing I didn't like as well is that she called her self a surviver like asher but no way you are lady. Yes you went trough some not likable things so if you want to look at it like they then yes your are a survivor but no way is that like asher. No way at all, not even close.

I reaaally didn't like Savannah's sister. She was naive, annoying, selfish and acted like such a child. I didn't care much for savannah's mother either. I think its because they're very southern and I'm not used to people like that ( I live in the netherlands myself).

No comments:

Post a Comment