Saturday, August 1, 2015

Elude by Rachel van Dyken

Twenty-Four hours before we were to be married--I offered to shoot her.
Ten hours before our wedding--I made a mockery of her dying wish.
Five hours before we were going to say our vows--I promised I'd never love her.
One hour before I said I do--I vowed I'd never shed a tear over her death.
But the minute we were pronounced man and wife--I knew.
I'd only use my gun to protect her.
I'd give my life for hers.
I'd cry.
And I would, most definitely, lose my heart, to a dying girl---a girl who by all accounts should have never been mine in the first place.
I always believed the mafia would be my end game--where I'd lose my heart, while it claimed my soul. I could have never imagined. It would be my redemption.
Or the beginning of something beautiful.
The beginning of her.
The end of us.
 

Review
I didn’t think much of this book in the beginning  because I never really liked Sergio. But I was curious and I hoped to read more about Phoenix and Bee.  In this book there already married. I’m sad that we didn’t get to read about their wedding but I’m glad to see there doing fine.
But after reading this book I loved it. I love Andie and her look on life. I loved that even though she was dying she was living with such passion and full of life.

So what is this book all about.
This book focuses on Andie and Sergio. Andie is marrying into the abbanato family for protection from her Russian mob father. On top of that she has chronic leukemia so she doesn’t have much longer to live.
Sergio makes it very clear that he won’t get feelings for Andie and that he’ll only protect her and nothing more. He treats her less than a dog sometimes. Andie on the other hand doesn’t let her illness get the best of her and she is very bad ass. She is a Russian  trained killer after all. She even manages to hand Sergio’s ass to him and get the better of Tex.
For Sergio his marriage started out as a punishment but in the end he was her salvation. Andie said to Sergio that even though she was dying, he was the one that was already dead. And that was true. In the short time they were together, Andie manages to save Sergio and make him feel alive again.

What did I like about this book
I loved Andie. She was such an amazing character. She was very funny and bad ass. She was just great, I would love to have her as my friend. I also loved how Sergio changed in this book. I like him more now.
After hearing about how everybody cried on the RRR facebook page, I thought meh I don’t cry over books that easily. How wrong I was. I cried so hard, I was so emotional. I really can’t wait for the next book. I can’t imagine how that would turn out. I don’t want to spoil anything but danm poor Sergio.

SPOILER: I thought it was so weird that Nixon knew Trace was pregnant because she didn’t have her period for six weeks and she didn’t even notice it. It could be possible but it’s very unusual. But hej I’m happy for them.  This is how she found out
“Holy Crap” I jumped out of my chair and covered my mouth with my hands. “Trace!”She frowned, reaching a fist into the popcorn and stuffing it into her mouth. I shook my head “you’re pregnant”. She paled. Tex burst out laughing. “Nixon you dirty dog””Huh?”Nixon walked into the kitchen, a gun in hand. Seriously, did the guy ever turn it off? Or put it away? Probably why Trace was preggers. I smirked at my own joke. “Why am I dirty?” “Trace!”Mo pointed an accusing finger in Trace’s face. “You got your wife pregnant. Well done, evil twin. Well done”. Nixons face broke into a smile “oh..”He winked at Tex “That..” Popcorn fell out of Trace’s hand as she started counting on her fingers. “Six weeks” Nixon said, looking bored. Trace’s eyes widened. Nixon shrugged “What? I know your cycle better than you do. You’re about six weeks along. I was waiting for you to say something, thought maybe you didn’t know” His grin was shameless. “Apparently, someone’s been distracted” Trace launched herself at Nixon, wrapped her arms around her neck “Why didn’t you tell me? “ Nixon kissed her across the mouth “I honestly thought you were just waiting to tell me until you were further along – until you knew. Don’t girls do that. “No..”Phoenix stumbled into the room, his eyes tired. “They tell you right away and then cause you to freak out at the exact same time they find out, making you lose sleep and wonder if your child is going to inherit the same awful tendencies to stay up ALL THE NIGHT LONG!
“Just me?  Tex frowned. “Or did Phoenix just say “all the night long? Like he was born in the eighteen hundreds.     SPOILER

Quotes from the book

“Chill, you’re both pretty. Now adjust your balls, scratch your ass, and burp so we can get back to dresses and champagne”

In those brief moments, Sergio had given me all I’d ever wanted- but had never been brave enough to admit. Freedom from the thoughts of sickness. Freedom from the thoughts of death. Freedom from my physical body reminding me that is was soon.

 “Holy Shit” Chase burst out laughing. “Really, dude? You realize there’s four dead bodies surrounding your little love nest?”Sergio started stalking toward him. I grabbed his arm and jerked him back. Did he not realize he was still naked? Nixon followed, his eyes scanning the mess of blood and bodies before turning to us “Nice work” “Amazing, leave it to Nixon to comment on the dead bodies rather than the naked ones”

“Damn it, I’m not your bitch. You can’t make me cook every night!” – Chase










I also decided to make some collages of the other characters and the women in the book. 













No comments:

Post a Comment